A n interesting idea personal reflection and a meme borrowed shamelessly from Trish, feel free to try it yourself and comment below!
Errr …and read bearing in mind the nth glass of Pink champagne I’m currently swilling!
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Helped get a new restaurant up on its feet.
Filleted a whole lemon sole.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for
next this year?
I don’t tend to make New Year’s resys…I just try to be the best Alyson that I can be. It tends to work OK. Having said that, I vaguely recall that this year I decided I would learn to say “No,” and I recall I managed to say “No,” successfully a number of times…to a few people who aren’t my children even.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes. The lovely J and L had a gorgeous inscrutable baby boy and I have a new niece.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Three funerals this year. Three too many.
5. What countries did you visit?
I visited a country called Weird this year and a country called Nuts. I may or may not have been to Crackers this year, it remians to be seen.
6. What would you like to have in 2008 2009 that you lacked in 2007 2008?
Time, time, time OH! And perhaps some time!
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Never been good with dates: my niece came in November.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Winning the Coves Historical Fiction Award and being shortlisted for the ACT Writers and Publishers Award. Also managing to grow a peachtree from a seed that I spat on the ground last year!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Even failure is a learning experience, and therefore not a failure. I very, very, VERY strongly believe that.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Ahem. Embarrassment. A debilitating wake up call in the form of tall person back injury. A dislocated knee. Bruises and scabbed knees like I haven’t had since I was 9. A nasty stress related flu.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A $10 sewing machine that cost only $50 to get in tip top condition and a Mulberry tree for $50. And a $25 grey cardigan from Cotton On.
12. Where did most of your money go?
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
A phone call from Carey’s teacher and his Most Improved Award in Soccer.
Ethan’s awards in Technology, Abbey’s star turn in soccer, No. 8 question above, and SH’s lightbulb moment.
14. What song will always remind you of 2008?
MGMT’s ‘Electric Feel’ (you’ll like this Mum, it’s really 80’s!)
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
I have no memory – but I feel fab now.
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
Richer, in an esoteric sense and very possibly in a financial sense.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Gardening. Writing, of course. Power yoga.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
18. How did you spend Christmas?
This year we will be doing Santa presents, then Brudher (more another time if you remind me) for breakfast, then family presents and silly photos, then go to my Mum and Dad’s where I’ve promised to glaze the Ham in the BBQ (all by myself with a bottle of Champers in hand – fools!) and bring the sweet potato dish (with marshmallows for little Emmy Jobsz!) and torment my Nephews and Niece mercilessly!!! I can’t wait!
19. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Yep. With appropriate people for appropriate reasons, don’t worry.
20. What was your favorite TV program?
Oh, I loved The Mentalist…Simon Baker looks like he’s having so much fun (for a change!).
21. What was the best book you read?
Umm Umm Umm Probably not a book club book, but don’t tell anyone. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.
22. What was your favorite film of this year?
Totally Wanted but also Mamma Mia, with my daughter who loved it and joined in when I sang.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went to a Tupperware party, but then I went to Yum Cha with my folks and my sister. I was cough hack choke.
24. What kept you sane?
25. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
The guy from Wanted
Yeah, I’m so committed to my crushes I can’t even remember his name.
26. Who did you miss?
My BFF Rachael in Tassy. I miss her like an organ.